My friends No one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when or whether ever I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell.
- Abraham Lincoln Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
Good bye, proud world I'm going home Thou art not my friend, and I'm not thine.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
In farewells we heat above ordinary our affections to the things we forego.
- Michel de Montaigne Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
Good-byes breed a sort of distaste for whomever you say good-bye to this hurts, you feel, this must not happen again.
- Elizabeth Bowen Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, iscertain for those who are friends.
- Richard David Bach Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
So sweetly she bade me adieu, I thought that she bade me return.
- William Shenstone Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes
Farewell, a long farewell to all my greatness This is the state of man today he puts forth The tender leaves of hope, tomorrow blossoms, And bears his blushing honours thick upon him The third day comes a frost, a killing frost, And - when he thinks, good easy man, full surely His greatness is a-ripening - nips his root, And then he falls, as I do.
- William Shakespeare Visit FamousQuotes.com for more inspirational quotes